I'll start off by telling you the good news. After unpacking every. single. box. I am happy to report that only one thing did not make it (and it wasn't even packed in a box).
Our beloved entertainment center.
We laid it to rest before moving everything to our house that we are currently living in. While Dan was jumping for joy, I was silently shedding tears of sadness. (Ok. Not really, but you get the jist.) Couldn't it just have made it one more move? I know it was made out of particle board and all, but I mean really. Why could it not have just waited one more move? Like to the house that we will someday buy and then we wouldn't have to worry about whether or not to purchase something nice and it getting dinged up on the next move (I know it's bound to happen, but it's all about me and my timing, right?).
Anyway, once Dan noticed the crack in the board where the TV sits, it went from it's entire particle board glory, to a heap of broken-ness in a matter of minutes. All it took was Dan leaning on it, which then caused it to shift to the left and crumble. After pulling a few pieces here and there, it was history.
It lasted almost 6 years for us plus the three years before with it's previous owners. 9 years isn't bad for particle board.
So now for the bad news. (I guess the other part was kind of bad news too, but at least everything else made it safe and sound. ) I started to shop for a new entertainment center today since our TV is currently sitting on our card table. And I found out I have NO idea what it want!
This is what we had before:
We still have the same TV and while we would love to get a big flat screen, it is gonna have to wait. Maybe in the next year or two. We both have discussed getting something smaller like a TV stand, but I will admit I did love having the shelves for decorating purposes, although Dan, of course, could care less.
I am concerned with a TV stand that Alayna will be able to get into everything since it is right at her level, whereas the DVD player was way up at the top on our old one. Our movies were in the cupboard at the bottom, but they were really hard to open so that wasn't a big problem. Anyway, are you seeing my dilemma here? I just don't know what I want.
Tell me. What do you think? What do you have: TV Stand, armoire, entertainment center...? Do you like it? What are the pros and cons? Oh, and does anybody want to just do the shopping for me and surprise me so I don't have to worry about it? Just kidding.
Saturday, November 13, 2010
Oh, help!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
We have just a stand for our TV...here are my pros and cons for ya:
Pros: It is small, and since we are moving a lot, it is easy to pack and take with us. Small is also nice in our apartment. It fits our flat screen TV, so you don't have to worry about getting the right "space" for one. Easy to clean (seriously, like, takes two seconds to dust)!
Cons: Miley does get into everything, but after a few times of saying "no" she is pretty good about not ouching the TV, DVD player, or the other stuff unless she is specifically allowed to. We also have to have a separate storage rack for all our DVD's, which is kind of annoying.
Overall, it has worked well for us while we have been moving, and aren't quite settled. But I CANNOT wait to get a "real" entertainment center when we are somewhere more permanant!
Hope this helps...a lot of the things, you already knew I think, but just giving you my two cents. Hope you guys are settling in!
We also have a TV stand, but it's one that's technically part of a bedroom set I think. That means it's taller and things aren't quite at Avery's level. Like Wendy's daughter, all it took was a few times saying no and Avery does pretty well with it. It's got 3 wide but shallow drawers on it that can easily fit DVDs and two cut outs at the top for your DVD player and all that. I like it a lot. I'll email you a picture so you can see what I'm talking about.
We have loved our TV stand. We bought it at Walmart for $100. We went from having an Armiore and I like you wanted to have shelves for decorations but because we move a lot we needed something small and easy to move. Plus, we wanted something that looked nice but wasn't super expensive. I had felt like with Dean getting older and getting in to things that we needed a stand with doors. It holds all of our DVD's in the two side doors and the front doors are glass which has the DVD player and can have a few decorations or in our case, Dean's toys. Hope this helps.
Post a Comment