Monday, January 31, 2011

Decide to decide

In life, sometimes it's not all about me and what I want.


I have found that recently this statement has particularly been true.


I am a stubborn person.  I have always been one that is quite determined once I have set my mind on something.  But let's face it, sometimes things just don't go our way.  The Lord has other plans in mind.  And boy, am I glad that He knows best. 


The Sunday after Christmas, Dan and I were asked to speak in church.  While researching and getting ready, I stumbled across a talk called, Decide to Decide.  After reading through it, I realized it was just what I was looking for.  But it wasn't until a few weeks after giving my talk that I realized just how perfect it was for me.  It's message talks about deciding to do something.  Deciding to make a decision long before the situation arises.  Deciding what we will do in advance when we are faced with a challenge.  Does that make sense? It's kind of confusing at first, but once I thought about it, it really struck me. 


These last few days have really got me thinking.  I have decided that I am going to Decide to decide in all aspects of my life.  Specifically in spiritual aspects of my life.  I have decided that as the Lord guides my life, I can choose how I react to the trials and blessings I am given.  I am just starting.  I am at square one, but I am trying.


This past week, our family has been given another trial.  Just after the holidays were over, we were blessed to find out that I was expecting again.  We were thrilled, but a little worried as well because of our previous experience.  But soon I was having my "all-day-sickness" like I had with Alayna, so we were reassured.  I was not feeling well at all and barely able to get off the couch some days.  But within a few weeks I was starting to not feel as miserable and the Lord truly blessed me.  Alayna and I were able to get out more and start resuming our normal lives.  Sure, I still felt miserable at times, but at least I could get off the couch.


We were feeling pretty good about all the symptoms I was having and I scheduled my first appointment.  While I had some nerves about my first appointment (and I think I always will), I felt good.  But once the appointment started, and I saw the medical student and doctor, my worries began. 


I was supposed to have been 10 weeks along so after the standard physical they tried to listen to the heart beat.  The medical student tried.  Nothing.  The doctor tried.  Nothing.  They asked for the ultrasound to be wheeled in.  The doctor started looking and clearly was not finding what she was looking for.  Again, they tried to comfort me by telling me I had all the symptoms and possibly I am not as far along and they thought.  They ordered some blood tests and another ultrasound.  Three hours later I was told I could go home and they would let me know.


Not an hour had passed by and the doctor called to tell me that I was having a miscarriage and I would need to schedule a D and C.


Not again!  I couldn't believe it.  I really was taken by surprise.  What about all my symptoms?  Dan, of course, was the perfect comfort and we leaned on each other once again.


The next morning my doctor called me again and told me there were some things concerning her.  My symptoms of morning sickness and insomnia and my hormone level being so high, to name a few.  She told me that after consulting another doctor, they thought I might have a molar pregnancy.  She went on to explain that although, they won't know if that really is the case until they send some of my tissue off to be tested after the surgery, they needed to do the surgery as soon as possible because this type of pregnancy can be very dangerous to the mother. 


So surgery was scheduled for the next morning.  And while I won't know anything for the next few days, I do know that deciding to decide has changed my outlook.  And while I am still struggling and bawling as I write this, I know that the way I choose to react will not only help me, but it will help my family. 


Are there things that I am struggling with?  YES!  Do I just want to skip over these last few days.  YES! Do I wish I could just catch a break? YES!  But maybe what I choose to do now will effect me for the better later on.


So, we're waiting and hoping and praying....

16 comments:

Lauren said...

So so sorry, Erica. Prayers for your family. Hang in there. Love you.

KaLee said...

And now the tears are streaming down my face. Thank you for showing me a wonderful example of faith. I love you!

allison said...

oh goodness Erica, how awful. I can't imagine going through two miscarriages with such a positive attitude as yours. You are so strong. I hope everything works out for you guys.

Paul & Kaytie said...

Eric, I'm so so sorry. You are such a great example of faith. We will be praying for you.

katie said...

i sat down with ryan and just cried yesterday. having been there, i just ache for you and road ahead. i am praying and praying for you.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry! I was reading this post just waiting and waiting for some good news....life sure throws some curveballs and you are definitely getting your fair share. I can't believe you have to go through this again - with maybe even more issues! You sound like you have a good positive attitude (well as positive as you can get)
I hope the test comes back that you don't have a molar pregnancy! With my second, since my HCG levels didn't double in 3 days they wanted to end my pregnancy right away - That's an awful decision to place on any pregnant lady!

Good luck with everything and you will be in our prayers!!

Carolyn said...

I'm so sorry, Erica. I love your outlook and I admire you so much! I'm glad Dan is such a good support and comfort to you. I will be praying for you.

JMG said...

Oh Erica. . .I'm SO sorry. I'll leave it at that, because I know sometimes nothing else really can be said. . .


Julie

Amber said...

Not again! I'm so sorry Erica. Those first few weeks are so horrible, it's so heartbreaking to know it was all in vain. Our prayers are for you and your family.

Jill said...

I'm so sorry Erica. You are such a strong example of courage and faith...I hope you can find peace and comfort over the next few weeks.

Our prayers and love are with you!

Keri said...

Smare,
What a tender post. I can't help but think the Lord blessed you with a tenacious and courageous spirit so that you can meet these trials with strength and faith. By honestly sharing your hopes, feelings, and disppointment, you have touched hearts and have been a voice for countless others. We love you!

Elder Nicholas Sinks said...

I am sending lots of thoughts and prayers your way. I am so sorry you are having to go through this. {HUGS}

Kathryn said...

AMAZING! You simply are. I truly, truly feel for you all. Thank you for sharing your sweet, STRONG, faithful spirit! Love you, praying for you!

Stephanie said...

I know you don't know me, but our husbands were best friends growing up...anyway...I know personally that nothing anyone says here will make you feel better, but I wanted to let you know I'm thinking about you and do understand...I just suffered my 2nd miscarriage a week ago...We had been trying for 4 years to be able to conceive... I hope you are able to feel better, recover and be happy!!

Cameron and Wendy said...

I am so sorry that you have to go through this again, Erica. Hoping for the best for you and your family, and I am glad that you have such a great husband and family to lean on!

Sarah said...

I'm so sorry. Hang in there.