Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Birth story

By the time we made it to the hospital, signed some papers, got dressed and hooked up to the monitors, it was about 5:00 pm.  The nurse checked me and said I was a 4 and 70% effaced and the monitor was reading that I was having some contractions.  I wasn't surprised since earlier in the day I would feel a contraction here and there, but nothing real consistent.

The nurse told me they wanted to try and get the baby's head lower and suggested I walk for awhile to see if we could get my labor to progress on its own.  So Dan and I went to the cafeteria, got a quick bite to eat, and proceeded to walk laps around the hospital parking lot for an hour.

On the way back into the maternity wing, the nurses stopped me and told me that from the front, when they saw me on the security camera, they didn't think I was coming to the right place.  They couldn't believe how I didn't look pregnant until I turned to the side.  (Isn't that the story of this pregnancy.) 

After returning to our room, I was checked again to find that I was still a 4 but her head was a lot farther down and Dr. Guerrero would soon be in to break my water.  I was a little apprehensive about her breaking my water.  Mostly because I didn't know if it would hurt, but also because I knew once she did, then my labor would really start going.  At least one of my fears was lessened when I didn't feel a thing as the doctor broke my water.  But less than 15 minutes later, my other fear was confirmed when I could indeed feel my contractions getting stronger and closer together.  

The nurses then informed me they would monitor me for an hour, and then let me walk for another hour and half, and that would be the routine throughout my labor, alternating between monitoring and walking.    Well, to my benefit, we didn't have to go through many cycles of monitoring and walking before Brylen came.

Once my hour of monitoring was done, at about 8:30pm, I was unhooked and given permission to walk.  By this point my contractions were a lot stronger and I wasn't sure I would be able to walk, but I figured I would try.  Dan helped me get situated with my robe and slippers, but it was soon evident that I was not going anywhere.  If there was any walking, it would be done in my room.  But with each contraction, all I wanted to do was sit down and lean against Dan.  

Speaking of Dan, he was AMAZING!  He massaged my back and helped steady me for each contraction.  He seriously was the perfect support.   We were amazed with how fast and strong each contraction was.  In fact, most of the time I was not getting a break between each one.  

At 10:00 pm my hour and a half was up and the nurse came in to check me to find that I was fully dilated and ready to push.  Within 15 minutes they had the room prepped and got the doctor.  It was at this point before pushing that the pain was quite intense.   I remember turning to Dan and saying, "I don't want to do this anymore."  To which he kindly responded with a chuckle, "I don't think you have a choice."  The contractions were one right on top of another and I was ready to be done.  I then asked Dan to pray for me.  I was scared because I knew I would be pushing soon and I had never done it without an epidural before.  I didn't know if I could do it. 

Just before we were ready, the doctor asked me, "Do you remember how to push?" To which I replied, "We'll soon find out."   And I did indeed remember.  Five pushes later, at 10:51pm Brylen was born!  I was so overwhelmed with a sense of happiness.  Our beautiful baby girl was here!  And she was perfect.

What an amazing and unforgettable experience!  I could not have asked for a better labor experience.  I am so grateful for the miracle of pregnancy as well as the miracle of giving birth.  I am completely grateful to my Heavenly Father for allowing me these experiences and giving me another precious daughter whom we love to pieces!  There is nothing more beautiful than meeting a sweet little spirit from Heaven for the first time.  I am humbled and so incredibly blessed to be the mother of this sweet little angel.

Now, for some pictures.

Waiting for our little princess to arrive. 

Right after she was born.  Mommy and Brylen meeting for the first time.
Just minutes old.
All wrapped up.  


Mommy and sweet baby.


0 comments: