Tuesday, August 12, 2008

School

Today is the first day of school, here in St. George, and I have to admit I am feeling a little (ok, a lot) "schoolsick". I know that's not really a word, but we'll just pretend.

I know some of you reading this are thinking I am absolutely crazy!!! Let me clarify that it's not being the student that I miss so much, but the teacher. So nonetheless, I am missing Kindergarten terribly. At the end of this last school year I was wondering if I would ever get to this point again because I thought the tattle-telling would NEVER end and I was beginning to feel like my name was being over used. (Mrs. Stevens he did this... Mrs. Stevens, so and so won't stop bugging me, etc.) I can just hear it now, but I am actually missing those little kidos something fierce.

Although I only taught for one year, I soon found out that I was in the absolute perfect profession for me. I knew I would like teaching, but I didn't know I would LOVE teaching Kindergarten. The more I taught, the more I liked it-which is what everyone wants to say about their career, but not many can. I was fortunate enough to work in the most wonderful school with fabulous co-workers. I truly was spoiled.

So now to end this walk down memory lane I will leave you with one of many of the humorous moments of teaching.

Background: My classroom discipline policy was based on a clip system. The kids each had a nametag that they would turn over each day for attendance purposes. (We also did a lot of work with the letters in their name, vowels, etc.) If a student was misbehaving and broke one of the rules, they would put a clip (a small clothespin) on their nametag as a warning. Two clips-they missed afternoon recess, and three-I called their parents. This was very effective in my classroom.

Me: Tom, if you do not stop throwing things, I am going to have to call your parents. You already have two clips on your nametag and if you do not make a better choice, you will get another clip.

Tom: I'm gonna call YOUR parents.

Me: Tom, I don't think they'd care. (As I am trying not to laugh, while I am envisioning my Dad answering that phone call.)

Kids. You gotta love 'em.

* I am trying to document all of my funny classroom stories (I know I should have been doing this as they happened) so that I can post some of them for a good laugh. Be looking forward to some more later on.

Here I am on the first day of school. In case you are wondering, the black thing around my neck is a microphone. Our school had some hearing impaired students. Although not every class needed a microphone, we all used them. I think every school should have them in their classrooms. They are awesome!


5 comments:

Schnackenberg's said...

Look at that awesome teacher! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!!

Elder Nicholas Sinks said...

I would have loved having you as Nick and Natalie's kindergarten teacher. I'm sure all those kids miss you already.
I think we are starting card group in September. I'll talk to everyone and get back to ya:)

Amber said...

Kids say the craziest things.... The other day Harrison was being sent to his room, I'm sure for bullying Henry. As he was walking toward his room he turned and shouted "MOM! Why don't you go to YOUR room, and SPANK YOURSELF!!" (note, Harrison has only been spanked about two times in his entire life, both times, he really, really deserved it....)

Jason and Amanda said...

Hey Erica!
I have no idea how I happened to find your blog, but I did. Congratulations on everything (school, baby) all the fun stuff. It if fun to see what you are up to.
Amanda Cory (Whitlock)

Carolyn said...

I love that story, it's hilarious! I think your Dad would have enjoyed that phone call. :) I can understand why you would miss teaching - it sounds like a great experience!