Wednesday, May 6, 2009

A Purchase

Meet my Easter/Mother's Day/Memorial Day/Fourth of July/Every other holiday (including my b-day) Present.


Yes. It's a treadmill.

I know. All of you are in shock right now.

Why did I choose a treadmill (of all things) to purchase?

It was the best option for me to get into a regular routine of working out. I have been doing all kinds of work out videos for a few months now, but I also really needed some good cardio. With a small baby, it was hard for me to "get out" with her nap schedule and such so I decided to bring the running to me. Now I can run when she is sleeping, watching Baby Einstein, etc.

I am proud to say that I have been running Every. Single. Day. Since my buff husband carried it up to our third floor apartment. (That's another story in itself. I'll just give you a couple of details and save the rest for another post. Bottom of the stairs. UPS guy vanishes.)

I have now worked up to running twice a day for 2 mile increments.

Since I am not a natural runner I have learned a few things along the way:

1. Did you know it takes 30 days to form a habit?....And promising your husband if he buys it, that you will use it every day.
2. There is such a thing as runner's clothing. Chaffing can happen. My arms have been a little sore.
3.It is best to get good running shoes. I have already added running shoes on my wish list. My 8th grade gym shoes will last for a while longer, but ultimately I would like a nicer pair.
4.The so called "rhythm" that runners say they get into when running, must be something that happens after the first month since I have yet to really experience a rhythm where I feel as though I could run for forever.
5.The last quarter of a mile NEVER gets any easier to run.
6.A runner's high? What is that? I still don't think that is possible for me....although, I will admit I do feel good about myself when I am done. Not because I feel like I am getting rid of the extra baby fat that Alayna so generously gave me, just because I actually made it through another 35 minutes of torture.

Despite all the hard work and sweat, I am really enjoying my Easter/Mother's Day/..... present! (Gasp!)

3 comments:

Cameron and Wendy said...

Wow! Lucky! I am totally jealous. You are going to be one buff mama here soon. I need to jump on that wagon and get myself into some kind of workout routine!

Jill said...

great job erica! I started running for the first time ever in january...I can now run 5 miles pretty easily. You will get there!! something you might try is to do increments for a while...so instead of going for distance, just do time. Run two minutes then walk two minutes. This will start to build up your endurance and it's actually the best thing to start burning fat. Pretty soon when you are walking you will feel the urge to run...that's when it get's good, I promise!!

good luck, keep us updated on your progress!

Sarah said...

WOW, I am seriously impressed with your determination! Way to go! That's a lot of running. And it's pretty dang funny that you're still using your shoes from 8th grade! Also funny about the wimpy UPS guy.