Over time, some things don't matter as much.
Like the fact that we celebrated our Half Anniversary instead of our real Anniversary this year.
As a person who has a December birthday (three days after Christmas) I understand the importance of celebrating one's actual birthday. Therefore, I mostly feel the same about other special occasions. I also know the importance of not combining gifts and giving a birthday gift AND a Christmas gift, but that's slightly a different topic....
Back to the Anniversary thing.
When Dan and I got married in December (two days after my birthday) I knew it may make December somewhat of a hectic month considering Dan's birthday is in December, as well as Christmas (obviously). But you can't plan when you fall in love. So a December wedding it was. January was simply out of the question. And even if it was on option in our twitter-pated minds, it wouldn't have made that much of a difference to celebrate a couple days later. Those few weeks still would be hectic with celebrations.
So, we moved forward knowing that our Decembers would be filled with celebrations, gift-giving, and money spent. Early on in our marriage, or maybe even when we were engaged, Dan suggested celebrating our half anniversary. Explaining that it might be nice budget-wise as well as an extra time during the year we could celebrate. Because to us, other than the standard holidays, we didn't know what it was like to celebrate something out of the month of December.
I shuttered at the thought. How could my husband willingly want to celebrate the day we were married on any other day than the actual one, let alone in an entirely different month!?! (Remember. I was still a newly wed.) How dare he concoct such an idea!
I then and there swore to him I would NEVER do such a thing. So he could just get that little idea out of his head.
Now fast forward to this last December (when the stars were aligned. Just kidding.) and I found myself actually agreeing to the very thing I swore I would never do. (Gasp!) Yep. On our Anniversary we still exchanged cards, went out to eat (with Alayna) , and watched a movie, but saved the real celebrating (aka: going out on a date without our little munchkin) and the gift giving for our half anniversary.
And it was.....
a little weird (celebrating in the summer), but really quite fabulous!
I think we may do it again.
Maybe.
P.S. Happy 6 1/2 years to us!
Thursday, July 14, 2011
I swore I would never do it
Posted by Erica at 3:15 PM
Labels: anniversary, Dan, Me
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
ryan and i have a similar situation. we got married two days after christmas and one day before ryan's birthday (your birthday too!). we've ended up being with family for christmas every year, so we have a hard time celebrating on the day. we usually go out to dinner a few weeks before. now that we have a kid, we figure its perfect...we'll have a built in babysitter if we're with family for christmas.
the only problem with celebrating the half anniversary for us is that then its the day before my birthday. maybe we'll start celebrating quarterly :)
Post a Comment