or otherwise titled "This is not how it is where I'm from"
I will just state the obvious first. The weather. Obviously 112 degree weather is not the norm in Wyoming.
But I should also mention the "monsoon season" that we're in. I still haven't fully grasped what that actually means here, but I do know the temperature is lower (in the 90's) and the humidity is higher...as well as the short storms that roll in almost daily.
Shortly after we moved here, we went out to eat and were puzzled by the word "burro" on the menu. There were all different kinds. It took us a minute to realize that burro=burrito. Who would have thought. It's not a bean burrito. It's a bean burro. I don't know why. I have asked several different people and they all just shrug their shoulders.
Green chiles. They are BIG down here. It's not just an Arizona thing. I believe it is a New Mexico thing as well. But they are in everything here. The other day we went out to eat and I was brought the wrong hamburger. But before I noticed it was the wrong one, I took a big bite and sure enough, there was a huge green chile on the burger.
This next one was just introduced to me and apparently I am crazy for not knowing this one. A cheese crisp. I remember wrinkling my nose and saying what? (I thought it was some sort of dessert.) Nope. Couldn't be more wrong. Apparently what I know as a quesadilla is also referred to as a "cheese crisp". I really had no idea.
I have to mention the lower elevation. Clearly, that is not just an Arizona thing, but I am finding lower elevation+lots of sun=less (as in I think one) sunburn for a certain redhead. Apparently I can get somewhat of a tan if I don't live at 7200ft. And by somewhat of a tan, I mean more freckles and slightly darker than porcelain white skin. Redheads, you know what I'm sayin, right?
Lastly (for now), the cotton fields. We moved here just as they were harvesting the cotton. And I was curious to see cotton grow. It really is quite intriguing to me. I simply LOVE the green that all the cotton fields add to our community.
Monday, July 25, 2011
It's an Arizona thing
Posted by Erica at 8:47 PM
Labels: Arizona, random thoughts, wyoming
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
It's fun to live somewhere new for a while, eh? Wyoming still has my heart though. I've been meaning to write about that. Congrats on the tan.
Haha! I just had the cheese crisp discussion the other day:) I had NO IDEA what that meant but it's even on menus! The monsoon thing is a little bizarre too, but I think some of the other things are more of an "Eastern AZ" thing:) i.e. they're still burritos here:) Maybe we'll see you when it's not 150 here:)
All so very true to us foreigners! I love the cotton fields right now! I just want to take a picture every time we pass by one certain field.
I feel enlightened--I wouldn't have known about any of those things! I'm a Wyoming girl, just like you. :) Arizona sounds like a fun place to be.
Post a Comment